Stewart’s Own Latin X Club

Avary L, Mckayla P

Latin-X club 

Ms. Rodrigues, The creator of the Latin-X Club, is very welcoming to new people wanting to join. She is very sweet, has good food, and plays fun games with the club students. Ms. Rodrigues is trying to make a welcoming environment for the students in this school. These are some questions we asked her. 

How was the Latin-X club born and why did you start the club? 

Since my first day working at Stewart, I learned that about 1/3 of the student population is made up of Latin X students, I was surprised to find out that there was not already a Latin X club.  I wanted to create a space where Latin X students could speak Spanish and celebrate their culture. As a Latina myself, I was always told that my culture and language was only to be celebrated in private at home and was discouraged to speak Spanish at school and in public. I want to make sure our students know it is important to be ourselves and to be proud of our culture. As well as for all students, including those who do not identify as Latin X, that diversity is important and beautiful.  Having a supportive principle like Mr. Crider helped making it possible to start the Latin X club here at Stewart. 

How has it been for you? 

Latin X club has been a pleasure to be a part of, being able to see students learn about the Latin X culture and seeing students share about their culture and getting excited to play Loteria and speaking Spanish in school is an amazing group to be a part of. 

What do you do during club time? 

I help facilitate a safe space to learn and share about the Latin X Culture. I also provide snacks for kids to munch on and materials to play games and interact. 

What are you hoping to get out of the club?  

I am hoping to create a sense of community for our Latin X students here at Stewart and hoping Latin X club can be an ongoing and growing space for years to come. 

What do you want the students to get out of this? 

I want students to know that being different is amazing and we should be proud to know another language and multiple cultures. Individuality is important in this world and no matter what other people say, it is amazing to be different. I also hope students start to speak Spanish and any other languages they know freely and proudly at school and in the community.   I also hope students become more open in learning and talking about cultural differences in a respectful manner as time goes on. 

Is anybody that’s not Mexican or Latino allowed to join? 

Of course, Latin X club is for all those that identify as Latin X and those who want to support their peers, learn and celebrate the Latin Culture. 

What is your favorite thing about teaching and representing your culture?  

My favorite thing about teaching and representing my culture is seeing the faces of students that light up. Whether it’s when they learn there is an adult here at Stewart that understands them, sees them, and celebrates them or when they are able to connect with an activity here at school that is familiar with them. I never had a Latin X teacher until I was in college, seeing representation in adults around students is very important to me, and I hope to help inspire kids as well. I also love bringing some of my childhood games here to see other kids learn to play them and enjoy them.